Inspiration comes in many forms. Lately people have been asking me from where I get mine, and it’s given me some great food for thought!
- The best ideas come to me in the shower. I think the heat and humidity send me into a daze that helps me think more creatively.
- Sometimes in the morning I’ll take a cup of coffee and sit in a green easy chair that I inherited from my Grandma. I meditate and read something from Psalms. It’s in the quiet times that great ideas seem to rise up and take shape.
Who inspires me:
- I’m often inspired by women who work really hard, achieve of their dreams, and remain totally friendly and approachable. Meryl Streep is one of those women.
- I’m drawn to people who are incredibly smart but still know that they have a lot to learn. This is wisdom.
- I admire those who respect not only what goes into their products and/or craft, but also those who pay money for them. A champion of this concept is Chef Thomas Keller.
When I get an idea for something, whether it be an ingredient I’d like to use or a product I’d like to create, I jot it down on a piece of paper. These notes are usually fragmented sentences and they often include questions. I found one recently that read, “Beeswax and Cocoa Powder. What happens?” Later I experimented with those two things and I found a way to incorporate them as a ‘frosting‘ on my new lotion bars.
I do a lot of research for Sugared Beauty’s products, and my goal is to always find a new way to use an ingredient or to find a better way to make a product, i.e. the sugar scrubs. It’s no fun and certainly not fair to copy someone else’s idea or work. It’s also called cheating. So while true creativity is very difficult to come by, new variations, improvements and unique spins on every day products makes Sugared Beauty a very rewarding, (and inspiring!) place.